The rules about driving a car with a trailer changed for drivers passing their driving tests.After the 31st December 1996. The rules are now quite specific that if you passed your car diving test (Category B) after the 31st December 1996 you can tow a trailer under the following conditions only. Motor vehicles with a MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle These combinations allow for Category B car drivers to tow a reasonable sized caravan. You need to know the gross weight of your car and trailer/caravan. All other combinations require you to take the Category E trailer test
Car and trailer driver training (B+E driver training), which applies to all sorts of trailers including horse trailers, builders trailers, larger caravans and other domestic trailers.
The rules are complex about vehicle specifications and the age at which you can drive which affect vehicles with trailers. To learn more please click on the following link. Driver licence categories
We offer a number of block training courses to suit your budget and your level of prior ability to tow a trailer, and also lessons by the hour.
1. A full days training and the dsa test on the seond day. £420.00
2. Two day training and dsa test in the afternoon of day 2. £560.00
3. THE GUARANTEED PASS COURSE this is our most popular course. This course is a total of 20 hours spread over 3 to 4 days with the dsa test being taken on day 3 r day 4 . Should you fail the dsa test on this course we will give you the vehicle and trailer and training prior to the retest for FREE FOR THE DSA RETEST . £700.00
4. By the hour using or vehicle and trailer £35.00 min 4 hours
5. By the hour using your vehicle and trailer (our trailer your vehicle) £30.00 min 4 hours
The DSA week day test fee is £125.00
The standard required to pass the B+E test is the same as taking your hgv class one driving test. The examiner will be a Hgv driving examiner.
Some companies will tell you to book less time than required to pass the test so that you go back to them and spend even more money and more Dsa test fees.